If you are a manager, accountant, lawyer or any other professional working in leadership, strategy, marketing or growth, you need to stay abreast of the latest in growth and innovation, strategic planning and business planning.
Our workshops, webinars, coaching and continuous professional development programme are designed to pass on our insights from delivering BOS-based programmes to many businesses, across many industries, over many years and in regions throughout the world.
If you wish to improve your practical understanding of the extraordinary and world renown Blue Ocean Strategy methodology, this three part coaching programme will lift and hone your skills, and foster strategically closer working relationships with your clients.
Use of the Intellectual Property & Working with BOSA
Internal Consultants, Staff, Managers and Academics
As an internal consultant, trainer, manager or business owner, you are free to utilise the Blue Ocean Strategy intellectual property for your internal business growth purposes. There are no trademark licensing or copyright fees for private use.
Universities have similar freedoms to use and teach Blue Ocean Strategy, and we can assist you to develop and incorporate Blue Ocean Strategy materials into your academic programmes using the educational materials and case studies freely available to bona fide tertiary lecturers and tutors, and secondary school teachers.
If you are an independent consultant wishing to assist your client to adopt Blue Ocean Strategy, there are two options:
- COLLABORATOR: In this case, you do not need to undertake any prior training. One of our existing Partners can work closely with you and your client, steering you through your Blue Ocean Strategy journey together. This is an effective way for independent consultants like you to build and maintain a strong and close working relationship with your clients, and to develop and implement your clients’ Blue Ocean Strategy under the guidance of an experienced advisor. In this case, the BOSA Partner/Facilitator will incorporate the use of the Blue Ocean Strategy intellectual property into the work they do, and any necessary intellectual property licensing fees will be built into their charges.
- PARTNER: Under this option, you can participate in our Blue Ocean Strategy Partners programme (detailed below) and become one of our formal Partners, able to deliver Blue Ocean Strategy services in partnership with BOSA. In this case there will be licensing fees applicable to any revenue you generate through the use of the Blue Ocean Strategy intellectual property.
Click here for more detailed information about the copyright and trademark protections in place around the intellectual property of Professor’s Kim and Mauborgne.
Partner Programme Overview
The programme is in three parts:
- Practice: the first part is for anyone wishing to increase their understanding of how the methodology is used in various situations, and is conducted by attending a 2 day workshop
- Coaching: the second part is for internal or external consultants seeking some individual mentoring and guidance from an experienced Blue Ocean Strategy consultant, as they prepare to lead a Blue Ocean Strategy project, and
- CPD: the third part is a program of monthly Continuous Professional Development webinars designed to challenge you and keep you up to date with developments and cases
Part 1 – Practice : 2 Day Workshop
Your facilitator is an experienced consultant who will lead the attendees through the 12 step process that is used by Blue Ocean Strategy Australia advisors to apply the principles, frameworks and tools of Blue Ocean Strategy, to achieve measurable outcomes for their clients.
For advisors, in this part we focus on:
- new and original cases from a wide array of industries, regions and types of organisations
- important insights into the method’s alignment of strategy and change management
- different ways of applying the method through one-on-one mentoring, corporate off-sites, workshops, innovation programs, face-to-face training and coaching, and other applications
- insights and opportunities into identifying organisational trigger points and how to prepare teams for their BOS journey
- how technology and other methodologies can be used in conjunction with Blue Ocean Strategy to increase the value to customers and therefore lengthen and broaden customer engagements.
For full details of the workshop, click here. We use the same initial workshop to train all Blue Ocean Strategy clients and consultants, and then customise the follow up work to suit their individual needs.
Part 2 – Coaching: Blocks of 12 x one-on-one 1 hour coaching sessions
This part involves a series of live one-on-one mentoring sessions, held between you and an experienced member of the practice group, typically your webinar instructor.
This stage is designed to help coach you through a BOS project or client engagement. It provides you with peer review, a safety net, and guidance on what materials are available for your use which will make your preparation more productive and your delivery more impactful.
If you don’t have a live case to work on, or you don’t feel ready to apply it to a client case, its a good idea to find someone who is prepared to be your test case. Someone who can be collaborative, yet forgiving if you need time to gather your thoughts, refer to your notes, re-think your approach or even just adjust what you’ve said. This might be a friend with a business, or it could even be a case study of a business you are interested in and can get good data on.
These sessions are usually about 1 hour in length each, depending on your personal needs and your program. They are typically delivered through webinar technology or Skype.
Part 3 – CPD: 4 (quarterly) x 1 hour webinars
This series is designed to keep you up to date on Blue Ocean Strategy related developments, cases and projects from around the world.
It’s also your opportunity to share and discuss questions, clarifications and experiences of your own application and thoughts about BOS.
Each webinar commences with a presentation or guest speaker and concludes with an open mike forum, or some curly questions from the webinar host.
Depending on the volume of business we are conducting together, this cost may be waived annually and/or you may use it as a means of maintaining your continuous professional development.
About the 12 Step Navigation Chart
The book, Blue Ocean Strategy, is a great thought-provoking read and contains many pre-publication case studies.
But, except for in very one small section, the case of European Financial Services, the book does not provide a clear roadmap for application of the principles, frameworks and tools to a live organisation.
The 12 Step Navigation Chart was developed to provide that roadmap of a repeatable and systematic process.
It is also important to appreciate that, by necessity the book is linear. You read books from cover to cover, or dip into them as a reference tool. But strategy development and implementation is much more iterative than linear. Two steps forward, one step back, most times you need to scout around a subject and see if from many perspectives before you can appreciate it fully – like the apocryphal story about the 5 blind men describing an elephant.
So the navigation chart provides the visual cues to allow consultants and their clients to step forward, back and around the methodology, in ways that maintain the drive towards your Blue Ocean Strategy outcomes.
Also, some people do argue that some of the examples in the book are not “blue oceans”. You may call them purists, but it is important to appreciate that some cases are included for instructional purposes only, to ensure that a particular point is clearly demonstrated.
As a result, the practical application of Blue Ocean Strategy escapes many people who have tried to apply it directly from the book. That’s why our webinar, mentoring and continuous professional development program are designed to pass on our insights from delivering BOS-based programs to many businesses, across many industries, over many years and in regions throughout the world.
This programme is currently delivered by the Managing Director of Blue Ocean Strategy Australia, Andrew Nelson.
Depending on demand, coaching and mentoring sessions may be delivered by Andrew or one of a small number of other BOSA consultants.
To enroll in the 2 day workshop there is an investment of AUD$1,800 plus GST where applicable.
To undertake the mentoring program, the investment is a further AUD$3,600 (plus taxes where applicable).
Please contact Andrew Nelson to discuss your individual needs and for more information.
We will discuss your access to the series of 4 quarterly continuous professional development webinars as part of your Partner Programme, but if this cost is not waived, there is an investment of AUD$150pa (plus taxes where applicable), or you can join each webinar on an individual basis for $50 (plus taxes where applicable).
Please contact Andrew Nelson for more information.